People who have obesity, compared to those with a healthy weight, are at increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions, including the following: All-causes of death (mortality) High blood pressure (hypertension) High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
What are the effects of obesity on society?
The High Cost of Excess Weight
No less real are the social and emotional effects of obesity, including discrimination, lower wages, lower quality of life and a likely susceptibility to depression.
What is the side effect of obesity?
Overweight and obesity are known to increase blood pressure. High blood pressure is the leading cause of strokes. Excess weight also increases your chances of developing other problems linked to strokes, including high cholesterol, high blood sugar, and heart disease.
What is the cause and effect of obesity?
Obesity is generally caused by eating too much and moving too little. If you consume high amounts of energy, particularly fat and sugars, but do not burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, much of the surplus energy will be stored by the body as fat.
How has obesity affected the economy?
The most recent studies that sample US populations have identified at least four major categories of economic impact linked with the obesity epidemic: direct medical costs, productivity costs, transportation costs, and human capital costs.
How can we prevent obesity?
- Exercise regularly. You need to get 150 to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity activity a week to prevent weight gain. …
- Follow a healthy-eating plan. …
- Know and avoid the food traps that cause you to eat. …
- Monitor your weight regularly. …
- Be consistent.
18 нояб. 2020 г.
Can obesity be cured?
The best way to treat obesity is to eat a healthy, reduced-calorie diet and exercise regularly. To do this you should: eat a balanced, calorie-controlled diet as recommended by your GP or weight loss management health professional (such as a dietitian) join a local weight loss group.
What are five causes of obesity?
9 Most common causes of obesity
- Physical inactivity. …
- Overeating. …
- Genetics. …
- A diet high in simple carbohydrates. …
- Frequency of eating. …
- Medications. …
- Psychological factors. …
- Diseases such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome are also contributors to obesity.
What foods can cause obesity?
Limit these foods and drinks:
- Sugar-sweetened beverages (soda, fruit drinks, sports drinks)
- Fruit juice (no more than a small amount per day)
- Refined grains(white bread, white rice, white pasta) and sweets.
- Potatoes (baked or fried)
- Red meat (beef, pork, lamb) and processed meats (salami, ham, bacon, sausage)
How much does obesity cost the economy?
Obesity Costs Are Rising Overall
(7) By 2006, obesity was responsible for closer to 10 percent of medical costs—nearly $86 billion a year. Spending on obesity-related conditions accounted for an estimated 8.5 percent of Medicare spending, 11.8 percent of Medicaid spending, and 12.9 percent of private-payer spending.